Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Crime news

5-year-old boy hospitalized after he grabbed a hold of the gun his 28-year-old father rarely kept in the gun safe and accidentally shot himself in the arm; father arrested

Nebraska – In a troubling case from Nebraska, a 5‑year‑old boy was rushed to the hospital after accidentally shooting himself with a gun that was reportedly not secured, leading to the arrest of his 28-year-old father, identified as T. Colvin, on child abuse charges. The ordeal underscores the grave consequences of unsecured firearms around children. The father was taken into custody and charged with child abuse after police concluded he failed to safely store a firearm, which allowed his young child to access it.

According to authorities, the gun was rarely kept in the family gun safe despite repeated concerns from the child’s 27-year-old mother and Colvin’s fiancée, identified as G. Gutierrez. In addition to Colvin’s arrest, Gutierrez was cited on two counts of misdemeanor neglect — reflecting alleged failure to properly supervise the children and ensure their safety in a home with a dangerous weapon.

Police say the incident happened when Colvin returned home Sunday with his 5‑year‑old son and a 7‑month-old sibling. After driving home, Colvin allegedly placed the gun in his sweatpants pocket and then reportedly fell asleep on the bed with both children nearby. Prosecutors say the child somehow grabbed the unsecured weapon and, in what authorities call a tragic accident, shot himself in the arm.

According to court records and police statements, the boy’s injuries became apparent when Colvin awoke to find his son “flailing” and bleeding from the arm. He allegedly immediately put the gun in the safe, then left the house to visit his mother’s home. From there, he called the child’s mother, sounding alarmed. The boy was then rushed to the emergency room, where doctors treated him for a gunshot wound. Thankfully, the bullet did not break any bones or leave fragments, and medical staff reported that his prognosis for full recovery is good.

Gutierrez later told investigators that Colvin always kept the gun “in his pocket or nearby,” rarely locked away, even after she repeatedly asked him to secure it. She said she feared for the children’s safety. Omaha law enforcement confirmed that this was not the first time the gun had been left accessible, a fact that added weight to their charges of neglect. Recognizing the risk to the children, authorities moved quickly: Child Protective Services removed both minors from the home, placing them under protective custody.

Colvin remains detained on the child abuse charge. The decision to arrest him signals how seriously the justice system views negligent firearm storage, especially when children are involved. The misdemeanor neglect charges against Gutierrez reflect broader accountability, not just of the gun owner, but of all adults in the household responsible for child safety.

Neighbors and child‑safety advocates have expressed shock over what happened, saying it illustrates a dangerous lapse in judgment. Many noted how easily such a tragedy could have ended worse, urging stricter enforcement and public education about gun safety. As the boy recovers, the legal system prepares for possible further proceedings. Investigators are reviewing how long the firearm remained unsecured, whether there is a pattern of negligence, and if any additional criminal charges are warranted. For now, Colvin and Gutierrez face serious charges, and the children remain in protective care. This case stands as a stark reminder: in homes where guns are present, responsible storage is not optional; it is essential. A single moment’s carelessness almost cost a child his life.

Written By

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More news

Pine Bluff Today is online local newspaper that covers breaking daily local news and events about the city of Pine Bluff in Arkansas. From local city council meetings, to crime news and other community happenings and news, Pine Bluff Today has you covered.

Copyright © 2025 Pine Bluff Today