Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Arkansas news

Arkansas felon sentenced to two decades in federal prison for meth trafficking and firearm offenses

Arkansas felon sentenced to two decades in federal prison for meth trafficking and firearm offenses

Hot Springs, Arkansas – A Hot Springs man has been sentenced to two decades in federal prison after admitting to drug trafficking and firearm offenses stemming from an investigation that uncovered methamphetamine and a handgun at his residence.

The sentence was announced after Markevin Duwayne Taylor, 33, appeared before the United States District Court in Hot Springs. The Honorable Judge Susan O. Hickey sentenced Taylor to 20 years in federal prison, followed by five years of supervised release.

Taylor previously pleaded guilty to Possession of Methamphetamine with the Intent to Distribute, Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Drug Trafficking Offense, and Possession of a Firearm by a Prohibited Person – Felon.

Investigation led to drug and firearm evidence

According to court records, the investigation began in July 2024 when law enforcement agents carried out undercover controlled purchases of methamphetamine from Taylor.

The investigation continued into early August. On August 5, 2024, officers executed a search warrant at Taylor’s residence.

During the search, investigators found a large quantity of methamphetamine along with a handgun. Authorities also confirmed that Taylor had previously been convicted of multiple felony offenses, making it illegal for him to possess a firearm.

Taylor later admitted to the federal charges, entering guilty pleas on June 26, 2025.

During his sentencing hearing on July 6, 2026, the court determined that Taylor qualified as an Armed Career Criminal because of the number and nature of his previous felony convictions. That designation played a significant role in determining his sentence.

United States Attorney Kevin R. Holmes said the sentence demonstrates the commitment of law enforcement agencies to removing repeat offenders from the community.

“Career criminals will not have safe harbor inside the Western District of Arkansas,” said United States Attorney Kevin R. Holmes. “Our state, local and federal law enforcement partnership is strong, and we will work together to ensure that these dangerous offenders get the time in prison they deserve.”

Officials with the Drug Enforcement Administration also emphasized the importance of the case in addressing violent drug crime.

“This investigation highlights our unyielding resolve to target drug traffickers who bring weapons and dangerous narcotics into our neighborhoods. Through Operation Take Back America, we will continue to deploy the full force of the Department of Justice to protect our communities from violent crime,” said Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent in Charge John P. Scott, New Orleans Field Division.

Hot Springs Police Chief Chris Chapmond also praised the cooperation between agencies involved in the investigation.

“We are thankful for our relationship with the US Attorney’s Office,” said Hot Springs Police Chief Chris Chapmond. “The aggressive prosecution of these types of offenders sends a clear message to those that want to commit offenses that endanger our citizens.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney Bryan A. Achorn prosecuted the case on behalf of the United States.

The investigation was conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Hot Springs Police Department, with assistance from the 18th East Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, which also helped support both the investigation and prosecution of the case.

Written By

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More news

Arkansas news

Little Rock, Arkansas – Drivers traveling through Little Rock should prepare for several nights of traffic restrictions as crews carry out bridge deck repairs near...

Pine Bluff news

Pine Bluff, Arkansas – The ARTx3 Campus is inviting adults ages 50 and older to enjoy two upcoming mornings filled with bingo, prizes and opportunities...

Arkansas news

Little Rock, Arkansas – Arkansas Attorney General Tim Griffin, Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton are backing federal legislation that would give...

Arkansas news

West Memphis, Arkansas – A Memphis man with an extensive criminal record has been sentenced to nearly 20 years in federal prison after a jury...

Pine Bluff Today is online local newspaper that covers breaking daily local news and events about the city of Pine Bluff in Arkansas. From local city council meetings, to crime news and other community happenings and news, Pine Bluff Today has you covered.

Copyright © 2025 Pine Bluff Today